måndag 9 april 2012

The famous spanish processions

Yesterday we went to a part of Valencia where the catholics do their world famous easter procession. It happens all over Spain around easter and is popular both for tourists and those who believe in its religious meaning.  If you want to know more about it I think it is better that you watch Youtube clips, because it takes too long for me to explain. The closest thing to this that I have experienced before was when Thorine and I watched the halloween parade on sixth avenue in New York. Maybe somebody says that I should be ashamed when I compare the holy easter parade to the pagan halloween parade. But to be honest they looked the same in many ways. When I looked in the eyes of the parading people yesterday, I did not get the feeling that they were celebrating that Jesus rose from the dead. But...

...on the other hand...

...who am I to judge? What do we do to celebrate the resurrection of Christ in Sweden? On resurrection sunday I think many swedish christians do one of the following:

-sleep a little longer in the morning
-have a picknick in the woods with family or friends
-wash the car
-pick flowers for the kitchen table
-have a cup of coffee on the doorsteps

And how many other swedes are honestly affected by this easter manifestation by swedish christians?

Hmmm, maybe we should come together and do a procession after all? A procession where we parade while singing songs that without a doubt celebrate that the King is alive!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar