onsdag 25 april 2012

Spanish parking

I don't think anybody is surprised if I say that traffic in Spain is very different from what we are used to in Sweden. I don't want to go into that too much now, but I had an experience yesterday that I want to share. At 14.00 many shops close for siesta, and I needed to get to a music store before they closed. My friend Paco, who has helped me with my computer and phones, told me about a music store that was only five minutes away from his store. It was no problem to get there in time, but to find a parking place was difficult as always.

In search of a parking place I made a left turn, after another car, and we both came up on a street where there was some kind of flea market going on. I would have thought that this street was closed and it was impossible to park or even drive my car there. But I was lucky because the car in front of me made its way through the flea market, by honking the horn and pushing people out of the way. I was a little bit scared about how the car in front of me made everyone and everything move away, but I was lucky too, because it was my only chance to go anywhere. Without that car, I would have been stranded.  Then the worst thing happened...

In the middle of the flea market the car in front of me stopped. An old lady came out of the car and started taking out the scarves that she wanted to sell at her stand in the market. I had been following a vendour, a person who wanted to be in center of the market, which I really did not! Now I was really stuck.

My only way out of there was backwards, so I started backing. By honking the horn a LOT and driving like a spanish person I eventually made it out of there and came back on the road. I backed my car three blocks through a flea market. Something I have never tried before. But I made it!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar