onsdag 4 april 2012

Jocke

I think I was about 19 when I wrote my first song for Joybells. I could not think of a good name for the song, so Magnus, the leader of the band, named the song "Jocke", which is what you are often called in Sweden if your name is Joakim. In my own opinion I did something impressive when I wrote music and lyrics and arranged it all for a gospel choir, when I was only 19 years old! But when I look back today, the song was not really that good. It had a few moments of quality, but over all it was mostly weird. Many 19 year-olds have written songs better than "Jocke". But it was a good start for me as a composer. Of course I was very nervous when I presented the song, and I did many things wrong. But I overcame the fear to present one of my own songs and I learned many things from it.

Last week we had a composing seminar in Zaragoza, where everyone had to write a song in only 15 minutes. It was very interesting and all the songs were good in one way or the other. My teaching was mostly about how to overcome fears you have as a composer, and other things that stop you from being creative.

We will do composing seminars in Valencia too, with Coro Gloria. They already have a lot of great original songs, and I am sure I will learn from them too.

By the way, if your name is Joaquin and you live in Valencia they call you "Chimo".

2 kommentarer:

  1. Nice to know the story! I like Jocke, aunque no se cómo pronunciarlo!! :D
    M

    SvaraRadera
  2. Nice to know the story! I like Jocke aunque no se pronunciarlo! :D
    M

    SvaraRadera