fredag 11 maj 2012

Deutschland? Sverige?

As we have just a few weeks left in Spain, and we are going to the festival in Dortmund, I feel the need to write some thoughts on my other "home" -Germany.

When I started with gospel music in the 90's I had no idea that Germany would be such a big part of my work and take such a big place in my heart. Thanks to Creative Kirche and Gospel Kirchentag I made many new friends quickly, and today I feel like I have a german family too.

When I started travelling to Germany I was talking to Thorine about doing what we are doing in Spain right now -stay there for a longer period to get to know the country and share my music ministry with some choirs for more than a weekend. But I was nervous about that, because the german language was then, and is still, difficult for me. I don't know what would have happened if I lived in Germany for a while, but even if I have not (yet) done it, I have still followed the development of music and gospel music in particular.

In my opinion many of the most exciting things in gospel music happens in Germany these days. There are many well organized festivals with a clear vision and great ideas. New choirs pop up here and there like they used to in sweden in the 90's. There is the full spectrum from advanced and creative singers and musicians to amateurs who create a better atmosphere in their neighborhood through their music.

I have already criticized Swedish church music in my blog, and I don't have to write the same thing again. But I need to mention one more thing that has made the german gospel scene more interesting than the swedish. Sweden (and often also the other nordic countries and some other countries as well) like to invite african american artists to teach gospel music, and nobody else. In Germany there is an interest in other european artists, not only african american, which has given character to the german gospel sound. While many swedish choirs aim for the american sound, many german choirs aim for their own sound, and I think it makes them strong as a group and interesting for the listener.

Again I make generalizations that are not always true, of course. And I know some people say that I am the most americanized song writer you can find in Sweden, so who am I to talk? Well, I like to talk about it, and you are free to comment on this blog or email me. ;-)

1 kommentar:

  1. Great point,,to allow an original flavor to come forth,,

    I think for a lot of Europeans especially in the northern parts, we have had to listen to African American gospel music and singing, in order to get going. We have been soaked in our own beautiful but maybe a little more subdued psalms for generations. And the American Gospel vocal tradition came along and freed a lot of people leading them to a much more "outgoing and bold" way of expressing themselves.

    Many are happy to stay there,, on the quest to become the best copy of any given refined American Gospel singer/choir who has the ideal skills and musicality to impress and inspire us to greatness.

    There comes a time though, where some people find that their original musical inharitance is no longer something to escape or be ashamed of,,rather something that can be integrated into "the borrowed sound" even as a means to become more unique and maybe something even more truthful can come out of it.

    SvaraRadera