tisdag 1 maj 2012

Spain or Sweden?

We have lived in Spain for two months now. I think a lot about the things I have learned here. What is different in this country from other countries?
A lot of Swedish musicians, including myself, often think that we can perform music better than other Europeans. That is not true, of course. Sweden is a country full of music, and you can easily find many great musicians there. But in Sweden you can also find many musicians who have forgotten their first love for music. "Great music" is different from "great musicians" and it takes more than just technique and skills to do "great music".

A big difference between Spain and Sweden is that it is much harder to study modern music in Spain. In Sweden you can learn just about anything in just about every city in just about any way you want to. In Spain the musical education is not prioritized by the government. There are many talented singers and musicians here who are frustrated, because they wish to learn more.

The good side of this is that the music in the churches here are full of soul! Because what is lacking in education is compensated in enthusiasm and energy. Best of all is that many singers and musicians turn their lives over to God and let Him model their lives! It comes natural to many christian spaniards to serve God with music. Many swedes are more focused on producing a perfect sound, or cool harmonies, or constantly renewing the repertoire.

I know I make generalisations now, and I am sorry if I offend anybody. But my point is that I wish to keep some of the spanish desire to worship that I have seen.

I intended to compare also with Germany, another country that I love, but that will be next blog I guess.

1 kommentar:

  1. Yes please, compare with germany!!! I love to read your Blog and read about your experiences you had with your family and friends. I´m looking forward to see you and Prais Unit at Gospelkirchentag in Dortmund.

    SvaraRadera