torsdag 22 mars 2012

Spanish gospel

Our "host-choir" in Spain is Coro Gloria. They are based in Valencia, they have members from many different churches and their leaders are the ones who have helped us with most of the administration and to get used to life in Spain. I have met Coro Gloria a couple of years ago and tonight was my second rehearsal with them since we moved to Valencia. They have so much power and joy in their singing, and their repertoire, which is mostly written by the conductor Sergio, but also other members, is really great to listen to!

Many people from Sweden ask me what spanish gospel really sounds like. I can not give a good answer to that, because there are many choirs I have not heard. What I do know is that there are not so many choirs here, like if you compare to Germany or the scandinavian countries, but the choirs here are always so good to listen to. I am sorry, my swedish friends, but spanish choirs seem to have something natural that we have to work harder for in the north.

Maybe one reason why I like the choirs here so much is that they have taken music influenced by african american gospel, and turned into their own music in their own language, and it works! Maybe I am the wrong person to say this, because I know some people say that I try to be "too american" in my songwriting and performing. But I believe that's the style that fits me, and I still believe that what the spanish choirs do with their own language is a beautiful and great thing!

Soon I will meet choirs in other cities, and I know I have reason to be excited about that. But tonight I am just happy for the time I had with Coro Gloria.

Dios me ama tal como soy!

1 kommentar:

  1. Kathrin Biermann29 mars 2012 kl. 20:18

    I think it is the same with spanish pop music. It has so many differnt influences like that kind of arabian sound, it has great rhythms, that typical guitar sound and is sonething totally different from music from other countries... Just have a look - no, an ear - at Melendi or El Arrebato! Even the voices sound spanish ;-)

    SvaraRadera